Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Lots of Golf and a Little Poker

I have had loads of fun the past two weekends. The last weekend of June was spent in Atlanta for a getaway weekend with the wifey for our anniversary. We stayed at my brothers and I got to participate in a "live" poker game at a nearby house. There were about 17 folks so we had two tables going. I was the last one knocked out before the final table, but the empty table was used for a cash game for the others knocked out where I faired poorly. After the first tournament finally ended, there were enough people staying to play one more tournament. I did okay knocking out three people including my brother, but finished on the bubble in 4th place. The other three chopped the pot right after I was eliminated. Meh!
On Saturday night, we went out for dinner at a Brazilian steakhouse where you are brought various cuts of meat in rapid-fire successsion until you can no longer eat. I actually stopped before I was full because the food was over-seasoned and a little dry. For $100, I was very disappointed, but we were able to hit Chipotle on our way out of town on Sunday.
On Wednesday the 2nd, I played some very good golf at our municipal course and shot an 80 with way too many putts. On the 3rd, we went to my sister-in-law's in the Shoals and I played their courses that are part of Alabama's Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. I played on the Fightin' Joe course (named after Confederate General Joe Wheeler). This course is over 8000 yards from the back tees, which I did not play. On Friday morning, I was able to get the first tee time and went back to play the Schoolmaster, so named for Woodrow Wilson, the "schoolmaster of politics". These courses are high on a bluff above the Tennesee River on Wheeler Lake and just a short distance from Wilson Dam. I did not play so well, but still stayed under 90 on an obscenely difficult track.
We went home on the afternoon of the 4th and took the kids out to see the fireworks. Saturday was relaxing and Sunday I took Kevin to see WALL-E, which was cute, but there were less than 10 words of dialogue for the first 30 minutes or so. Just WALL-E and his pet cockroach. The movie is basically about fat, lazy Americans who have trashed the planet and now have to live in space. You can wait till it comes out on video.

No comments: