Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Really Bad Beat

I finally played in a local live poker game with 17 participants and things could not have started any better. I was on the button and first to act raised. There were several callers and I reraised to 2x the pot. My pocket queens were good but I did not want anyone hanging around to pair up their Ace or King. This bet did the trick as both blinds folded, followed by everyone else. A few hands later I was holding Ks 10x and the flop came Ad Qc Jd. I was not sure how to play the nuts, and the two diamonds concerned me. The table checked around to me and I raised 2x the big blind and was hoping somone had paired their Ace. All but one folded and he reraised and I simply called and we went to the turn which was a low card. He bet again and I reraised significantly, content with just taking the pot now. Apparently my reraise was not enough and he called. The river was the 7 diamonds and he bet the pot. I figured he hit his flush was very aggravated that I let this pot get away, but I sheepishly called anyway and he shows A 7 for the two pair and my flopped straight held up. I later slow played my A 10 when I flopped an Ace and let others get the action going. Another Ace on the river and I'm feeling real good. The betting comes around to me and I bet big and got what I was hoping for. A very aggressive player said "I know you don't have the ace and are just trying to steal the pot." He calls and shows his cowboys for the AK two pair and my set takes the pot. I won two other pots before disaster struck.
I am sitting a comfortable second in chips and am dealt KJ with no raises and we get the flop KKQ. The table checks all around. The turn is a two and the chip leader makes a big bet and I'm guessing he has a Q or small pair so I push back with an all-in. He shows his K6 and I know at worst I will split the pot with an A or Q on the river. The last card is turned over and it is a 6 to complete his boat. What made this worse was that two others folded 6's, so this was the last one in the deck. I took this suck out with dignity and hung around chatting until the final table. I played well and look forward to playing with these folks again.

4 comments:

Huntsvegas Poker said...

that was sick... look forward to seeing you again. the next one will be the 29th. stay tuned to my page and keep an eye out for the emails. i am also going to link you up on my blog as well. great to meet you.

BrainMc said...

Yeah, those aren't fun. It especially sucks when it happens against the only person that can knock you out or do you harm. I'm glad you had a good time.

BrainMc said...

I think I have hit my share of 1 outers this year in Kaj's home game a couple of months ago. It made the difference betweeen 3rd place and the win.

It sucks to bubble like that.

surflexus said...

Great to meet you when you were in ATL...see ya soon.