Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Poker Skill?......What a Crock!!

This will apparently be my last blog about poker because I am fed up with the game. I do not want to hear about "good" players because it all comes down to dumb luck - pure and simple. I get knocked out of last nights live game when I go all-in preflop with my pocket Jacks and my opponent calls with 5's. The flop shows a 5 (of course) and off to home I go. This same player earlier called an all-in with 4's against Aces and again hits his set on the flop to crack the rockets. That is all I have to say about live games.

Switching to Full-Tilt, I have been playing with some funds that were generously transferred into my account from my brother (I will pay you back). I took the $20 and have gone up to $30 and down to $15 and have been staying in this range. Today, I decided to try the .10/.25 Limit Hold 'em to see how different the play was. I entered with my entire bankroll of $19.75 and quickly ran it up to $36.75. I told myself, up to $40 or down to $30 and I would stop. Lo and behold, I get AA in the big blind, bet the pot and had 3 callers. The board flops AKK and I am ready to wet myself. I figure I'll make very little more off this pot but will extract as much as possible. I bet the minimum and everyone folds except the SB. He comes over the top and bets the pot. I call and the turn is a 4. Again, he bets the pot, and I put him on either AK or KQ. We continue raising back and forth until I'm all-in. The cards are flipped and he shows KJ which is fantastic until the river. He hits his K for quads. Full Tilt surely loved the rake from the pot that was from purely "random" cards. My aggravation stems from the fact that I have NOT ONCE sucked out in a pot with a significant number of chips (play or real money) in it, but have been the victim of the suck out far too often.

I do not know what else to do. Should I have folded? Played more aggressive? Would it have mattered? Since I have exhausted my online funds and I apparently have no luck in live play, I believe I will find a new hobby.
Like pulling weeds.

1 comment:

Huntsvegas Poker said...

hang in there man. imagine the feeling you feel right now but the reverse. you keep getting your money in good and it will come... see you next time because i know this is a knee-jerk post!